Friday, December 12, 2008

99.99 Cent Store...


After hearing about the 99 cent chef who started shopping for groceries at the 99 cent store when he lost his job about a year ago, I was dieing to go and see what treasures I could find. I haven't been to one since before Elliot was born. On Wednesday while Elliot was at Papa's playing, I got to go to the Yorba Linda/Placentia one for about 20 minutes. If you go, make sure you have more than 20 minutes. There is a lot to look at. First I have to mention, that it is no longer the 99 cent store, even though, that is what the sign still says. It is the 99.99 cent store and they round it up to 1.00. It seems kind of like a scam, but I'm not going to stop shopping there, over a penny an item. My favorite find was the gift bags, for 79.99 cents. And they were really cute. My other favorite was the Duncan Hines small cupcake mix. It only makes 12 rather than about 20 from the regular size. I was very happy to find the milk and honey softsoap, because it's my favorite and it is definitely a bargain at 99 cents. The mini palmolive was probably not much of a deal, but I thought it was cute, and the pregnancy test, I picked up, because you never know when you might need one of those, and for 99 cents, that was probably the biggest saving item I bought. Lastly for the rest of the food, I got 8 bananas, nice and fresh crimini mushrooms and some powdered sugar, each for 99 cents. In the produce section, there was some nice looking stuff and some not so nice looking stuff, but I was impressed by the mushrooms. They looked much nicer than the ones I buy at Trader Joes and even cheaper. How could I forget about The Chico and the Man dvd. I honestly don't remember ever watching Chico and The Man, but for 99 cents, I thought I might check it out. Or save it as a special Christmas present.

I tallied up the savings I could find based on prices I found at Albertson's, Von's and Target. Here are the usual prices...

mushrooms- $2.00
softsoap- $2.79
Bananas- 34 cents each
Chico and the Man $1.25- $5.00 (prices new at Amazon)
Sugar- $1.09
Gift Bags from $1.19- 4.99
Generic Pregnancy Test- $6.99 for a generic 2 pack

This all was a savings of about $14.00

2 comments:

inkyblog said...

oh my gosh, did you use that pregnancy test yet??!! i am dying to know! ok i am going today, my boys are at grandma's which means i have more than 20 mins to shop (and i have the dirty dancing soundtrack which roundtrip equals yorba linda and back:)

Artsycooper said...

No, Carol, I don't need the pregnancy test. Just thought it was amazing you could buy one for $1.00.